I’m sorry the photo wasn’t showing up – not sure what happened! Hopefully its working correctly now!
I recently finished another baby quilt, for my darling friend Stephanie. Stephanie’s little girl, Madelyn Clair, will be here in just a few short weeks. For the first time, I managed to finish a quilt before the baby arrived!
I found this pattern in a book of large blocks for baby quilts, so there are only four blocks in this quilt. When I talked to Stephanie to figure out what she might like, she described her personal decorating style as “welcoming, comfortable, bring-your-kids-indestructible,” so I knew that a delicate heirloom probably wasn’t the right style. I went for something bright and cheerful, in a sort of “throw-it-on-the-floor, don’t-mind-the-spit-up” way.
This was the first quilt in which my color selection didn’t go the way I’d planned. I’d set out to make an alphabet quilt. I thought alphabet fabric would be easy to find in many coordinating bright colors. I found what I thought would be really striking – letters in a variety of colors on a black background. I was disappointed to find all the other alphabet fabrics at my local store were in blues or pinks, and at the time it was far to early to know Baby’s gender. So I ended up with polka dots in turquoise, red and green, all selected to coordinate the alphabet fabric.
I stitched away at my rolling nine patch blocks, which were quick and enjoyable. I put in the thin inner boarder of turquoise, and laid out the black alphabet boarder. And….. YUCK! I couldn’t bear to look at it. It was SO.UGLY. I promptly returned to the fabric store, bought more of the red fabric, and put on the outer border.
The quilt is backed in multi-colored polka dots on a green background, and bound in turquoise and white.
The quilting is mostly outline in the blocks, and chevrons in the large border.