As promised, I’m back. I’m piecing back together all those great plans I had for maintaining a good blog, and hopefully September will prove more consistent than August. Vacation is over and done, and work has launched itself into 2013 preparations a bit like a rocket headed to the moon (well, like a rocket headed to the moon back before the NASA program stopped going to the moon). I’d like to take a minute today to reflect back on August, and see how close I came to meeting my goals, in spire of life not going exactly as I’d expected.
Here were my August goals:
- Vacation, vacation, vacation
- Annual summer cleaning
- Read Ann Voskamp’s book “One Thousand Gifts.”
- Create a seasonal meal plan for fall.
- Make a fall wreath.
- Can tomatoes.
- Make some serious headway on my big quilting project – meaning I’d like to get 8 blocks done this month.
So how did I do?
- Vacation? Check! We spent a lovely week driving down to the Gatlinburg area of Tennessee. We did some outlet shopping, we ate some good food, we relaxed in the hot tub, we visited a couple of museums – we saw a magic show. Goal met!
- Annual summer cleaning. Check! (mostly….) I didn’t get to the baseboards in a couple of rooms because I wasn’t able to move furniture and appliances. But my cabinets, closets and drawers are cleaned out, my furniture is vacuumed and the windows have been washed (at least on the inside).
- Read “One Thousand Gifts.” Check! This was one thing that certainly didn’t go as planned. I was excited about this book, and it certainly didn’t minister to me the way I’d anticipated. Plan on seeing a book review later this month.
- Create a season meal plan. Nope, didn’t happen. Honestly, in the midst of everything else my attitude toward food has sort of been: who cares about cooking, buy me a pizza. Fortunately, my husband has a stronger will than I and managed to make us some good homecooked meals. Fall meal planning is going onto the September goals list.
- Make a fall wreath. Also didn’t happen, although in typical Amanda fashion, I bought a piece on clearance to go onto a Christmas wreath. I’d still like to get some fall decor together, and may stop at Walmart tonight and see what I can put together.
- Can tomatoes. Check! You’ll see pictures later, but I have 12 lovely quart sized jars of tomatoes. I didn’t grow all the tomatoes myself, but I did help peel and cut and jar and water-bath-process about 14 jars, 12 of which came home with me.
- 8 blocks from my big quilting project. I didn’t do this either. I finished two and started two more. But I have a good excuse: I finished 12 for a smaller project that I’ve wanted to do. Two big seams and I’ll have the top done, unless I decide to put on a border. Then its quilting and binding. Fingers crossed, I’m done by the end of October. And, sorry, but you don’t get any more details on this project for a while. Its a surprise.
So – I guess you can call me 5 for 7, if you let me off the hook for working on a different quilting project. I suppose part of the point was to actually do some handwork.
Here are a few other things I did in August:
- Started a community leader training program called the Kosciusko County Leadership Academy. I’ll spend the next year learning about the community and completing a white paper project, working along side 25 other young community leaders.
- Finished reading The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood
- Finished reading The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
- Put together a “capsule wardrobe” to keep myself looking professional throughout the coming year
Here are my September goals
- Can more tomoates
- Work up four blocks for my big quilt project
- Fall seasonal meal plan
- Fall decor, including a fall wreath
- Read two novels from my Book List
What things will you get done this month?